Music Licensing and Mood Media

Lisa Volk in Clinical & Quality

Some AHCA/NCAL members have been contacted by one or more of the three entities which hold copyrights for music, BMI, SESAC, or ASCAP. These contacts, by letter or telephone call, assert the member is violating US Copyright laws by playing music in a “public space.” They are requesting the provider apply and pay for license to play music in their communities (both assisted living and nursing centers).

Under the 1976 Copyright Act, the holder of the copyright or its assigns (BMI, SESAC or ASCAP) has the exclusive right to reproduce the work and, in the case of a sound recording, to perform the copyrighted work publicly. Perform has a broad definition and includes singing, playing music, broadcasting, playing a CD or DVD, or turning on a radio or TV. Publicly means to perform any place where a substantial number of persons outside a normal circle of family and social acquaintances hear the music or it is open to the public. See full article:


Lisa Volk, RN, B.P.S., LNHA
Director, Clinical & Quality Services
518-462-4800 x15